expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, September 5, 2014

Asphalt Talk... 26.2 Conversations

Warm Up:  
Do The Work But Enjoy The Journey

My daily routine used to be hectic, working two full-time jobs going to school and raising a family.  There wasn't anytime for running.  Most days I felt like "Hey Mon" working 19 jobs and I wasn't happy with the routine.  

Add caption
I will always be your father and you will always be my joy

When I look at my training I never want to get to the place where I'm just going through the motions checking workouts off my to do list.  I can't lie, it does feel good though knowing you accomplished your objective for the day.

Add caption
I was putting in the work but I missed so much of the journey along the way.

"Asphalt Talk" is where I'll share 26.2 lessons, tid bits, experiences and stuff I've learned along my marathon running journey.  Please feel free to chime in leave your thoughts in the comment section below.

Mile 1
Take it slow.  I went from 0-100 real quick. After finishing a few low mileage races I decided to run a marathon. Not the best strategy.  No regrets, just lessons learned through sweat tears and injuries.  

Reflecting on the side of the road I would have done things differently.  Perhaps following a distance and training progression that led to the beast known as marathon.  In my "hunt for a BQ" I've learned to put in the work and enjoy the journey.

Add caption

Taking time out to have a little fun before and after the workout helps me to take the mental pressure to perform off my shoulders allowing me to be relaxed.  

Today was a double duty 8mi easy in the morning.

Add caption

Then an ice bucket bath, power nap and 5 more easy miles in the evening.

Add caption

One of the critical elements I neglected during my 1st Marathon was strength training.  I've come a long way since then and hopefully many more miles ahead.  I finished up my evening outside with stretching hip and core work.


RunR4Lyfe



3 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one that takes time to reflect while running. It's essential, inspirational really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is true Grace... Running helps me out tremendously in so many different ways. Are you still running?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working on getting back into the pack...

    ReplyDelete