expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, January 2, 2015

How to Put Your New Years Resolutions on Steroids in 2015

Welcome to 2015, we made it!  The weeks leading up to the first of the year, there were a few memes warning me to brace myself, The New Years Resolutioneers were coming to invade the gym and my news feed.  Along with Haagen Dazs Butter Pecan ice cream and kicks I love a good laugh.  So I'd be lying to you, if I said, I didn't enjoy the brief comic relief. 

That is until I came across a post from Brenda that read: "Instead of making fun of The New Resolutioneers we should encourage them, invite a friend out for a run or walk."  Partnering with a trusted friend or family member would be an excellent way of building in an accountability safety net, for more on this visit: Dreams Don't Live on Shelves... Run after Yours in 2015.

According to the University of Scranton, approximately 45% of Americans usually make New Year's Resolutions and about 24% fail.  For full details visit Static Brain.  

So how do you put NYR on Steroids, so you will succeed?  It's as simple as giving up Haagen Dazs, make them GOALS-(see Goodbye Haagen Dazs... Hello BQ for details)

Bidding Adieu to Haagen Dazs led to changes else where in my life that weren't
initially targeted, it was a healthy by product unlike the grease in the
Vats that Mickey D's cooks it fries in-which can be so addictive.  
  
A resolution is akin to response you receive from that unreliable friend or family member, when you ask them if they're going to help you move and they say: "Yeah sure, I'll try."  In your mind you know they ain't coming and you've already activated your contingency plans.  This year be a better friend to yourself.  

A goal is significantly stronger and more reliable than a resolution and possesses magnetic properties to pull you toward your destination.  Once you get to the White Matter of WHY, the answers resources motivation and encouragement are released and delivered to you daily, until it becomes an automatic response-that's the steroids at work, creating a habit.

Duct Tape Your NYR to Your Bathroom Mirror, The Steering Wheel of car
Your forehead if you have to, wait that might be too extreme... 

1. Getting to the White Matter of WHY.
When I decided to say goodbye to Haagen Dazs it wasn't because I wanted to loose weight.  Butter Pecan was my reward for the torture I put myself through on the asphalt, any given day kicking back miles.  I would polish off a half pint, before the credits to a movie rolled and then the satisfying feeling was gone-like sex, sure it lasted through 3/4 of the movie.  In the end, the only thing I was left with, was an empty container and a spoon.  However, the deep satisfaction of qualifying for Boston was more important, long lasting and appealing than Haagen Dazs and that made it easy for me to say good bye.

2. Make Your Goal Attainable:
I didn't roll over the morning after finishing my first marathon in 5:23 and decide to BQ the following year.  I waited a few years.  After logging additional miles and gaining more experience the goal was in reach and seemed reasonable enough for me to go for it.

3. Believe You Can Do It
I'm dumb enough to believe that anything I put my mind to, within reason, I can accomplish.  Crossing the finish line in RI, in 2013 with a time of 4:03 reinforced the belief of possibly qualifying for Boston.  

"Champions don't do extraordinary things, they do ordinary things, but they do them without thinking, too fast for the other team to react.  They follow the habits they've learned" -Tony Dungy

4. Be Very Motivated and Committed
The thought of giving up Haagen Dazs, combined with the goal of qualifying for Boston found fertile ground in my mind body and soul.  And soon I was pregnant and gave birth to this blog.  The subtle change in my routine played a vital roll in helping extinguish my desire for Haagen Dazs.  Trying to BQ and writing the blog helped to keep me motivated and committed to my training. 

5. Build Mental Strength
In the summer I shared a post entitled: Get Your Marathon Mind Right Through Visualization in it I shared a few tips for building mental toughness during a marathon-the same principles can be applied to your NYR strategy.  While pulling this post together I came across a few resources that you may find helpful: 4 Ways To Make Your New Years Resolution Stick and The Science of Actually Keeping Your New Year's Resolutions.

I Wish you all the best in the new year as you tackle your goals running or otherwise, I'd love to hear about your struggles and personal victories.

Run4Lyfe 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the post.. parents are worlds best person in each lives of individual..they need or must succeed to sustain needs of the family.
    how to make steroids

    ReplyDelete